Sunday, August 31, 2014

A Quiet Miracle

While worshiping in church tonight, I was so overcome with this thought: 
When Jesus rose from the dead, He did it quietly. Not a single person was there to witness the greatest miracle the world had ever seen. 

When I am going to accomplish anything big or important, I want my family and friends there to watch me.  I want recognition, support and encouragement. I enjoy watching my family and friends get excited for me!  

Jesus did not need human applause or approval.  He accomplished the most amazing miracle ever, He arose from the dead and then removed a massive boulder blocking the entrance to the tomb. He walked right on out without a single human being made aware of His accomplishment.  Jesus conquered the world!  He literally defeated death and not one person was there to applaud him, give a nod or high-five when he exited the tomb.  He didn't Facebook or Instagram His exciting news.  There was no viral youtube video showcasing His miracle.

Why not?  Why didn't He just wait a couple hours until He would have had a crowd or someone there to experience this miracle?

It just proves again to me that Jesus did not come to Earth to be a superstar or a self-absorbed human. He did not need human approval or applause. If only I could be more like Him.  It is so easy with social media to 'share' every experience that we have. We want our friends to see our highlight reel and be happy for us whenever something fun and exciting happens.  So many people place to much importance on the number of 'likes' or 'comments' received on a social media post.  My generation has become one of the most self-absorbed generations in history.  

When my son Jett was 3, we both memorized this verse:
Philippians 2:3-4  
Don't be selfish; don't try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don't look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

Jesus lived this verse everyday for the 33 years He was on this Earth.  He was constantly putting others needs before His own.  He was the Son of God living among sinful humans. He could have schooled every single person but He chose not to.  He took the time to sit and listen, He healed the sick and injured. Jesus told stories to anyone who would listen. He always made time for others and did not live the lifestyle we would expect a King to live. 

Jesus never tried to impress or show-off.  He was humble and such an incredible servant.   My heart desires to be a servant like Jesus was but my pride continues to get in the way. I have to constantly ask forgiveness.  Everyday is a new opportunity to put what Jesus modeled into action.  I am so glad that we have a King who is not selfish or self-absorbed. He loved us enough to lower Himself to live among sinful humans and die a gruesome death. Three days later He arose from the dead and triumphantly exited the tomb with only Heaven watching.  I can only imagine the sound in Heaven when Jesus defeated death. The angels had to have been going absolutely crazy with excitement.  The love Jesus has for you and me, it's just to much to comprehend!  He is the only ONE! 

















1 comment:

  1. Never thought about that aspect of the resurrection before. If anyone ever had a reason to do cartwheels & draw attention to themselves, Jesus would be the one.

    ReplyDelete