Wednesday, August 27, 2014

House to Home.

Proverbs is seriously filled with so much wisdom it is ridiculous. Over the last few years I have come to the realization that rather than turning to random parenting books for my parenting questions, I need to look at what God has to say in the Bible first.  Initially, you may think that the Bible is just an old archaic book and have nothing relevant for parents in our current culture. Just spend some time reading Proverbs and you will quickly realize how much parenting wisdom is packed in those 31 chapters. Over the last few years I have made a habit of highlighting every verse I find in Proverbs that discusses parenting in a blue highlighter and every verse that speaks about wives in a different color. Proverbs is a very colorful chapter in my bible! 

I was reading in Proverbs this afternoon and came across this verse:

Proverbs 24: 3-4 
"A house is built by wisdom and becomes strong through good sense. Through knowledge its rooms are filled with all sorts of precious riches and valuables."

My version:  A home is built by wisdom. It becomes strong through good decision making. Its rooms are filled with precious riches and valuables. 

 " Through knowledge its rooms are filled with all sorts of precious riches and valuables."   I do not believe the author was suggesting that a wise woman should fill her home with diamonds and gold. What I perceive as precious is probably not going to be precious to you. What I consider valuable is not always going to be considered valuable to you.  For example, my kiddos art projects are beyond precious and valuable to me.  The first flower that my son ever picked me, his hand print on a Mothers day painting,  my daughters newborn footprint are all priceless to me. I believe that these are the types of riches Solomon was referring to. 

To this day, I love going back home to my parents house. Even though we moved several times during my childhood, no matter what house my parents live in, it always feels like home.  Everything is familiar and cozy. They have some of the same artwork, furniture and knick-knacks that were displayed when I was a little girl.  Those things are probably not worth any money but to our family, they are precious.  They turn any house into a home.  

As a Wife and Mama, it is my job to fill my home with these precious riches and valuables.  I want my husband and kiddos to be excited to live here. I try
 to create a home that my husband and kiddos want to live in. They need to feel comfortable and welcome in our home. The beauty of this is that it takes a lifetime to accumulate these precious and valuable items that create a home. You can't just run to Target and buy them. You can decorate a house but you can't create a home overnight. It takes time. It takes planning, work and love.  

I want to encourage you, spend some time and thought into planning the atmosphere you want to give your family. You do not have to spend a lot of money to have a cozy and welcoming home.  










No comments:

Post a Comment