Sunday, October 5, 2014

Another Year with Clayton

One year ago today I almost lost my husband. 

On October 5, 2013, Clayton was side-swiped by a semi who was driving over 70 mph on the highway.  Clayton's tiny car slammed into the highway wall going 65 mph and then his car flipped.  I still remember that phone call.  The scariest phone call I have ever received.  I was sleeping in late because I had been up most the night with our daughter who was just a few months old.  The kiddos and I were out of state visiting my parents when I got the call.  I immediately told my parents the news and then took our son Jett to the bedroom and we got on our knees thanking God that Clayton was still alive but to please protect him from serious injury.  At that point we did not really know if Clayton was ok.  He had called me from the scene while waiting for the ambulance but I knew he would not tell me over the phone how severe his injuries really were.  

So much fear and anxiety in the 2 hours that followed that phone call.  Praise God that other than some bruises and a lot of soreness, he was uninjured.  The first responders and the medical staff at the hospital were in complete shock as to how he survived that wreck alive, let alone walking away without severe injuries!



One year later and he is still fine!  He occasionally has some stiffness and soreness in his neck but that is all.  I have lost count of how many times I have thanked God for sparing Clayton that day.  There is no logical explanation as to how he survived that wreck.  God alone spared him from death.  This last year has been such a gift.  I have become so aware of how precious life really is.  I drive past the accident scene frequently and every time I do, I always praise God for getting to have another day with Clayton.  I praise God that my children get to have another day with their Daddy.  



The Bible is very clear that we may make plans but God alone holds our future.   James 4:14 says "Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life?  You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes."   So often we live life thinking we are invincible.  My friend, we are not guaranteed to wake up to see another day let alone if we will live long enough to finish this day!  We do not need to live life in fear of death but rather, live with intensity and purpose.   Our time on Earth is so short, make every day count!  

We need to focus on our relationships with our families and friends.  If you were to die tonight, would you leave your relationships where you want them?  Have you lived up to the potential God created you for?  Would you leave life with a huge list of things you wished you could have accomplished?  I think about these questions frequently.  I have had to ask myself what I feel my purpose is and if I am living it.  What do I want to accomplish in my lifetime?  What do I want to teach my children?  These are great questions to ask yourself to assess where you are at.  Take some time, get quiet with God and ask Him to reveal where He wants you to be.  Ask Him to reveal where you may need to mend hurt relationships.  Figure out a game plan to get where you feel God wants you to be.  

Everyday I wake up to my family is such a precious gift.  I do not want to waste my time with them or live a life of regret.  The decisions I make today do matter!  Your decisions matter so choose wisely.  Do not get to the end of your life wishing for a re-do.  Seek God in every aspect of your life.  Proverbs 3:6 says, "Seek His will in all you do, and He will show you which path to take."












No comments:

Post a Comment