Monday, September 15, 2014

Fast Forwarding Life

Have you ever wished you could hit a 'fast forward' button for your life?  I have been pondering this idea for a bit.  I am 2 days away from surgery #9 on my foot/leg.  Because this is my ninth surgery, I know what I am in for.  I know the pain that awaits me the second I wake up from surgery, the recovery pain, the immobility I will experience for weeks and the frustration in trying to sleep with a cast on my leg.  All that to say, I am kinda wishing I could just fast forward about 6 weeks in the future to when the pain will be significantly less and I am able to get the cast off my leg.

The down side is, I have no idea what I might miss out on during those 6 weeks.  

I have to ask myself, what is God going to teach me during this experience?  

Life comes with the good and the bad.  If fast forwarding were an option, I think I would probably get to the end of my life and just wish I could rewind and experience every possible second available.   I would desperately wish back for the opportunity to lie in bed next to Clayton and just talk.  Lay in bed and play poker, just the two of us.  I know I would wish for more time with my kiddos and I will always want just one more hug and smooch from them. 

I know that God has planned every second of my life out and not one good or bad thing that happens is a surprise to Him.  

One of my favorite songs is, Because He Lives.  My friend, this is an oldie but a goodie!

Because he lives
I can face tomorrow
Because he lives
All fear is gone
Because I know
He holds the future
And life is worth the living
Just because he lives

Does this song bring you peace and comfort?  I know it does for me!  While I am not jumping up and down for joy that I have to experience the frustrations from surgery, I am trying to find the positives that this experience will bring.  I truly am excited to see how God uses me for His glory during this.  I want to be present and intentional even when life is hard and unpleasant.  This is NOT going to be an easy task for me.  I will want to complain and cry from the pain, I will be miserable from the medication side effects and I will be frustrated not being able to take care of my family.  I will be depending on God for the strength to be positive and cheerful during the next 6 weeks because it will definitely NOT be possible in my own strength.   

James 1:2-3
Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. 

Being present and intentional means experiencing the happy times as well as the unpleasant.  I would hate to miss out on something that could possibly change the course of my life just because I was afraid of pain or of being hurt. God is so good, especially when life is hard! 




No comments:

Post a Comment