Friday, November 14, 2014

Mama Anger

"When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!"

Has this quote ever been applicable to your family?   It is has been applicable to myself more than I would like to admit.  Why is it that we are so short-tempered and rude to the people we love the absolute most?  I have not been feeling well and have been very stressed with our adoption so of course, I take it out on my little people and my husband.  I've been extremely short-tempered and frustrated with the little people God has gifted to me to raise and love. These little people that I begged God for. 

To help myself understand anger, I wanted to define it and then see what God's Word has to say about it.  God knew we as humans would struggle with anger so there is a lot to say about it in the Bible.  Here are just a couple of the verses I found.  I like to read each verse in a couple different translations to truly understand what is being said.  

Anger: A strong feeling of annoyance, displeasure or hostility

Proverbs 15:1 (niv)  A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
(nlt)  A gentle answer deflects anger, but harsh words make tempers flare.

Proverbs 19:11 (niv)  A man's wisdom gives him patience; it is to his glory to overlook an offense.
(nlt)  Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs.

Proverbs 29:11 (niv)  A fool gives vent to his anger, but a wise man keeps himself under control.
(nlt)  Fools vent their anger, but the wise quietly hold it back.

James 1:19-20 (niv)  Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

(nlt)  You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires.

It is so easy to just read a verse and not allow the power of the Holy Spirit to convict and help bring change.  Not that long ago, I came across Psalm 139:23-24. In this verse, David is pouring his heart out to God.  (NLT) Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.  Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.

Have you ever asked God to point out anything in your life that offends Him?  I want my relationship with God to be a deep relationship, I want my roots firmly and deeply planted in Him.  I am human, I sin daily and make so many mistakes.  I want to learn from these mistakes and not be the same person I was last year or even 6 months ago.  During quiet time with God I sincerely prayed Psalm 139: 23-24.  Not to long after, He used my husband and my children to point out areas in my life that needed serious improvement.  Anger was pretty high on the list.  I am not a yeller or a screamer but I sure can cock some serious attitude and sass in just moments.  I can raise my voice and take a tone that is disrespectful and rude way to easily.  I can be inpatient with my toddler as she learns to obey, follow simple commands and not climb on every surface in our home like a billy-goat.  My son is in Pre-K and we have to be to his school at a certain time everyday.  He insists on wearing head-to-toe camouflage every single day but I would prefer him to wear at least one item of clothing that is not camo just once in awhile.  Life is full of moments to extend grace and love to my family but yet I fail to do so.

We as Mom's, more often than not, set the tone for the entire home.  How I behave, react, listen and love my family will affect how they treat each other and how they treat me in return.  When I feel myself losing control, I have had to stop whatever I am doing,  go get my Bible and have some quiet time with God.  I have to constantly check myself, my heart and my tongue.  Growing up my parents always said, "Kim, think before you speak."  I have had to bite my tongue so much and have definitely not bit hard enough because disrespect and sass seem to seep out anyway.  God's ways are always best and I have to constantly speak His word into my life to help weed out all the anger that offends Him.  The Bible is full of life-giving advice if we just look and truly apply it to our lives.  

I saw this quote today from Lysa TerKerust and knew it was from God! 




My God is such a loving God!  He wants to encourage me as I continue to heal from surgery #9 and learn to not allow my anger to control the tone of my home.  I want a life free from disrespect and sass coming from my lips and it is definitely possible with God's help.











No comments:

Post a Comment